From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 30-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 400 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden and Romania. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Your Mission in Funcom
As a Lighting Artist, you will have a large role in the look development and overall storytelling within the game. Your role in part will be responsible for lighting many areas of the game, but you will also sync with the various art departments on general technical guidance and performance.
In this role, you are a highly skilled and adaptable Lighting Artist, always ready for a new challenge, and have a very strong proactiveness for problem-solving and visual direction.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- Work closely with Art Direction and create compelling lighting for a variety of real-time exterior and interior open world environments, whilst maintaining a consistent style and vision throughout the project
- Participate in developing project lighting standards, working with technical artists, material artists, environment artists and more to ensure consistent quality is maintained throughout the project
- Work with design and creative direction for assisting with implementations where lighting is part of the gameplay designs
- Develop efficient lighting solutions that fit within the technical constraints of the game, and assist with troubleshooting and fixing technical issues as they arise
- Write and maintain lighting documentation to support your own developments, as well as for other project-wide implementations and guidelines
- Stay up to date on best practices to keep up with the latest next-gen industry standards
We are looking for you to have:
- Minimum 3 years coof mmercial production experience in a lighting or technical art role
- Strong understanding of latest games art fundamentals of real-time lighting, physically based rendering, materials, and post-processing
- Portfolio or demo reel that demonstrates a keen eye for detail, knowledge of color theory and the ability to use light, shadow and color to create a variety of tones and moods
- Working knowledge of Photoshop and 3ds Max or equivalent
- Great communication, ability to follow creative direction, self-driven organization, and time management skills
- Bachelor/Undergraduate degree or equivalent
In addition, ideally, you might also have:
- Extensive UE5 knowledge, with project examples
- Keen interest in playing games and game development beyond art
- Prior experience with helping mentor your colleagues
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
Please apply in English.
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure where you can thrive, be yourself, leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
The Funcom Oslo studio is a professional working environment with international work culture, with more than 100 people from over 25 different nationalities in one of the happiest countries in the world. Funcom is an international and varied environment in which people have one thing in common – their love for making and playing video games.
Located in central downtown Oslo, the studio is in a modern office building surrounded by a cozy area with many sights, restaurants, and cafés.
Working at Funcom Oslo offers a flexible 37.5h/week working schedule, relocation assistance, pension plan, healthcare package, social Fridays, free access to the gym, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family of kind, skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games!
We have a diverse, dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities, and we encourage candidates from all walks of life to apply. Join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.