From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 30-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 400 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden and Romania. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Your Mission in Funcom
As our CTO, you’ll play a pivotal role in shaping Funcom’s technical vision and leading a team of talented engineers to create groundbreaking gaming experiences. Your expertise will be instrumental in driving key technical decisions, fostering effective cross-disciplinary communication, overseeing technical implementation, and ensuring the prioritization and execution of team goals. Under the direct guidance of our CEO, you will collaborate with your team to push Funcom to the forefront of virtual world development and operation.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- Technology Vision: Lead the charge in shaping our technology and technical future, driving innovation, productivity and enabling the creation of exciting gaming experiences.
- Technical Lead: Be the go-to person for all things tech, guiding and inspiring our development teams.
- Lead and mentor our teams, helping them work together harmoniously and efficiently.
- Innovate and Elevate: Constantly seek out new technologies and practices to take our games to the next level.
We are looking for you to have:
- 12+ years of experience, with a significant amount of it in building multiplayer online games.
- 7+ years of management experience
- Having released an AA+ or AAA persistent multiplayer game on PC or Console in a programming leadership position
- Extensive knowledge and experience with various game technologies and programming languages including C++, Unreal Engine/Unity/Other game engines, custom toolchains and Server/Multiplayer technologies.
- Extensive experience in the development and deployment of online games, including expertise in network architecture, server-side programming, and player engagement strategies.
- Demonstrates a proven track record of pragmatic prioritizing, evaluating, and implementing effective solutions under pressure and in the face of conflicting demands.
- Exhibit strong business judgment to guide technology-related decisions that align with the company's long-term strategy.
- Proven experience hiring and mentoring a top-notch engineering team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to productively communicate with both technical and non-technical people.
Role specific responsibilities:
- Establish ambitious yet achievable development milestones, ensuring that these goals are met on time, within budget, and adhere to our high standards for code quality.
- Partner with Production and Product to build a long-term roadmap, set schedules, and allocate resources.
- Partner with Finance to develop efficient, scalable infrastructure with low overhead and operating costs.
- Spearheaded the development of scalable technical solutions to underpin our codebase and ensure its ability to accommodate future growth.
- Ensure that the company's technology vision is aligned with its short-term and long-term business goals, and effectively communicate this vision to all employees.
- Lead and empower an engineering department with a diverse set of skills and experience levels, offering both technical mentorship and organizational oversight.
- Lead the process of identifying, evaluating, and selecting potential technical partners, libraries, and other technologies and tools.
- Implement and uphold engineering best practices, coding standards, and development methodologies to guarantee the successful delivery of a high-quality, scalable, and maintainable product.
- Stay on the forefront of tech and gaming trends.
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
Please apply in English.
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure where you can thrive, be yourself, leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
The Funcom Oslo studio is a professional working environment with international work culture, with more than 100 people from over 25 different nationalities in one of the happiest countries in the world. Funcom is an international and varied environment in which people have one thing in common – their love for making and playing video games.
Located in central downtown Oslo, the studio is in a modern office building surrounded by a cozy area with many sights, restaurants, and cafés.
Working at Funcom Oslo offers a flexible 37.5h/week working schedule, relocation assistance, pension plan, healthcare package, social Fridays, free access to the gym, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family of kind, skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games!
We have a diverse, dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities, and we encourage candidates from all walks of life to apply. Join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.