From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 30-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 400 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden and Romania. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Now, our Engineering department in Rayleigh, North Carolina needs a Lead Gameplay Programmer to lead our local gameplay team working on Dune survival game.
Your Mission in Funcom
As a Lead Gameplay Programmer at Funcom, you will lead and mentor a team of highly skilled programmers in an interesting and challenging PC/console project for Dune survival game, using Unreal Engine. This is a large-scale multiplayer sandbox game in a persistent world with a wide variety of features. Working in Funcom’s programming teams offers interesting challenges such as the opportunity to work with data-oriented programming (ECS) and shared simulation across multiple game servers.
As a Lead of the gameplay programming team, you will assist the team in collaborating with designers, animators, UI/UX and artists in multidisciplinary strike teams working towards completing a set of features. You will be expected to solve challenges and contribute to delivering high-quality features within the established milestones while providing mentoring to the team members.
We are looking for you to have:
- 2+ years of experience leading/managing a team
- 5+ years of professional experience as a game programmer
- Excellent C++ skills
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent experience
- Experience working in PC or console games
- Preferably, experience with client-server gameplay logic
- Passion for leadership and mentoring
- Clear, effective communication skills across teams and cultures
- Motivation and drive to collaborate and advance positive change in a studio environment
- Strong ability to break down complex tasks and consider wider ramifications of changes on the codebase
- Experience working with UE4 or UE5 is a plus, but not a requirement
- Fluency in English
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure where you can thrive, be yourself, leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
Funcom NC studio is a professional working environment with an international work culture.
Funcom Inc offers:
- Substantial employee benefits package including premium-free Insurance package, 25 vacation days, 8 sick days, 10 paid holidays, etc.
- 401K w/match.
We have a diverse, dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities, and we encourage candidates from all walks of life to apply. Join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.
Funcom Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Funcom is looking for candidates who are authorized to work in the U.S.