From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey, to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 28-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 250+ people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden, a newly opened Romania studio - plus an additional UI/UX hub in the UK. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Funcom is now looking for an enthusiastic Lead Programmer to join a highly motivated team working on Funcom's live games, such as Conan Exiles.
As part of the job you will lead, grow, and mentor a team of programmers throughout the development of new features. You will also be responsible for driving the technical production of our live games as a service, working closely with the other leads and project producers.
- Substantial employee benefits package including premium-free Insurance package, 25 vacation days, 8 sick days, 10 paid holidays, etc.
- 401K w/match.
- Dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging work environment.
- Continued training and career development opportunities.
- Continually evolving employee-based culture, including events, gatherings, contests, morale-based incentives, etc.
- 6+ years of related professional experience.
- 2+ years in a leadership position
- B.A. or B.S. Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Game Design or other Technical degree.
- Strong C++ skills, including experience working in multi-threaded and memory constrained environments.
- Ability to lead engineers, providing technical direction, as well as mentoring members of the team.
- Demonstrated ability to convert high level product requirements into technical design and tasks.
- Experience working with Unreal Engine 4.
- Experience working on multiple areas of gamecode.
- Experience driving technical roadmaps.
- Experience working with current generation consoles (PS4, Xbox One & PC/Steam), including dealing with TRC compliance issues.
- Strong knowledge of scripting languages (C#, Lua, Python, Perl).
- Have worked on one or more titles from beginning to end.
- Experience working on multiplayer titles.
- Understanding of the challenges associated with cross-platform development.
Primary Role Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement gameplay features and systems in C++ in Unreal Engine.
- Collaborate with the design team and technical lead on game features.
- Manage a team of engineers and help them meet their development and scheduling goals.
- Facilitate communication between engineering and production teams.
- Create and maintain technical design documents and self-manage programming task schedules.
- Create and implement well-engineered, reliable, maintainable, and bug-free code.
- Develop and test code, fix bugs, and profile and optimize code.
- Additional duties include assisting with content creation for game development and assisting with quality control of all products
Funcom Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Funcom is looking for candidates who are authorized to work in the U.S.
COVID-19 Update: Funcom has transitioned to a work-from-home model and continues to interview/hire during this time. Initially, this role is expected to be a remote position, ultimately becoming an onsite position. We understand that every circumstance may be unique and Funcom will work with each candidate to identify options that work best for them and for Funcom.