From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 28-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 250 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden, a newly opened Romania studio - plus an additional UI/UX hub in the UK. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Funcom ZPX is looking for an enthusiastic, talented and versatile Lead Concept Artist to join our concept artist team in Lisbon.
As a Lead Concept Artist, you will work closely with the Art Director and Art Leads to build and maintain qualitative goals and artistic consistency for concept art, setting high visual standards, and defining project style and tone.
In this role you are a well-rounded team ambassador: a master communicator, collaboration encourager and above all, a skilled artist. You fully understand the concept art creation process, along with style guides and creative briefs.
You are able to step in to coach your team, find solutions to setbacks, and deliver feedback with confidence.
- Work closely with the project Art Director to develop a style and provide consistent quality across all areas for the project
- Collaborate with other Art Leads and Producers to coordinate Concept Art resources, establishing schedules and priorities
- Review completed work, ensuring its aligned with the artistic direction and 3D requirements
- Lead, mentor and motivate concept artists as they develop and polish their work throughout the art pipeline
- Produce high-quality concept art, with the ability to deliver consistent quality across all areas of environments, lighting, characters, vehicles, props and more
- Carry out key department responsibilities that include hiring, training, appraising performance and resolving issues
- Stay up to date on best practices to keep up with the latest next-gen industry standards
- Minimum 5 years commercial production experience in a Concept Art role (leadership an asset)
- Mastery of 2D art fundamentals: anatomy, composition, lighting, materials, colour use etc
- Expert-level proficiency with Photoshop, Z-Brush, Maya and/or other 2D & 3D software packages
- Excellent English communication, organization, mentorship, time management and interpersonal skills
- Bachelor/Undergraduate degree or equivalent
- Prior Leadership Experience
- Experience working with outsourcing partners & freelancers across different locations
- Knowledge of production management (e.g. Jira)
- Keen interest in playing games and game development beyond art
About Funcom ZPX
Funcom ZPX is a full-range development studio situated in Lisbon, the sunny capital of Portugal, in an area with famous cafés and sights near the river. The Lisbon team consists of roughly 45 people from more than 10 nationalities.
This is what successful Funcom employees have in common:
- They identify with, and embrace, our company values
- They contribute to a positive multi-cultural work environment
- They have good written and oral communication skills in English
- They have a passion for games and your profession
- They are able to work independently and to be self-directing
Funcom ZPX offers flexible schedules, relocation assistance, health insurance, meal allowance, gym discounts, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family, with skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games.
How to Apply:
- Please apply in English
- Include your CV, highlighting your education, work history and games shipped
- Provide an online portfolio showcasing your best work