From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 28-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 250 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden, a newly opened Romania studio - plus an additional UI/UX hub in the UK. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Funcom ZPX is looking for an enthusiastic, talented and versatile Engineer Director to join its team in Lisbon, working on Conan Exiles as well as a new open-world multiplayer game using the DUNE IP from Legendary Entertainment.
As Engineer Director you will be responsible for driving forwards a talented and enthusiastic team of engineers. You will design solutions, coach new team members and guarantee the quality of the work being delivered.
- Responsible for the underlying architecture for the game or backend systems.
- Oversee the quality of the work being done by any other developers working on the project.
- Be sure that the best practices, development processes, and coding standards are followed by all team members.
- Act as a mentor for new or junior software developers or programmers, as well as for all the members on the development team.
- Be available to put hands on code when needed
- 5+ years of professional experience in game development.
- B.A. or B.S. Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Game Design or other Technical degree.
- Excellent knowledge of software architecture and software patterns.
- Large experience with C++.
- Strong communication skills (English is our working language).
- Experience working with Unreal Engine 4.
- Experience working on one or more released titles.
- Prior experience working on multiplayer games.
- Prior experience in managing teams of programmers.
- Knowledge of Agile principles and methodologies, including SCRUM and KANBAN.
About the Company
Funcom ZPX is a full-range development studio situated in Lisbon, the sunny capital of Portugal, in an area with famous cafés and sights near the river. The Lisbon team consists of roughly 45 people from more than 10 nationalities.
This is what successful Funcom employees have in common:
- They identify with, and embrace, our company values
- They contribute to a positive multi-cultural work environment
- They have good written and oral communication skills in English
- They have a passion for games and your profession
- They are able to work independently and to be self-directing
Funcom ZPX offers challenging and interesting work, flexible schedules, relocation assistance, health insurance, meal allowance, gym discounts, social events and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family, with skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games.
Please apply in English. Remember to attach your resume and cover letter.