From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 28-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 250 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden, a newly opened Romania studio - plus an additional UI/UX hub in the UK. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Funcom ZPX is looking for an enthusiastic, talented and versatile Technical Artist to join its team in Lisbon, working on Conan Exiles as well as a new open-world multiplayer game using the DUNE IP from Legendary Entertainment.
This position requires leveraging multiple artistic, creative and technical solutions, to support game art pipelines and techniques used by the production teams based on your knowledge of the latest industry trends to elevate the quality of our latest development processes.
As a Technical Artist you will be working closely with the Technical Director and the Art Director, but also acting as a bridge between to develop solutions and tools between the technical and art teams. You will be heavily involved in developing the art pipeline as well as researching, documenting and implementing solutions to maintain performance and increase the efficiency of the project.
- 2+ years working in a similar role, with at least one shipped title
- Ability to proactively troubleshoot problems and develop appropriate solutions
- Excellent knowledge of real time rendering techniques and PBR material workflows
- Expert knowledge of various industry standard DCC software packages, including 3Ds Max, Maya, Photoshop, Substance Suite, Houdini etc
- Demonstrated experience identifying and driving performance goals and optimisations for open world development on consoles and PCs
- Strong communication skills and drive to deliver consistently on time, acting as a bridge and balancing the needs between Game Design, Art and Programming
- A drive for documenting various tools and workflows
- A portfolio that demonstrates the key areas listed above, with examples
- Working knowledge of 3d/vector math
- Extensive production experience with UE4 in a wide variety of areas
- High levels of aesthetic attention to detail
- Working knowledge of a scripting language a bonus (Python, C++, MAXScript, MEL etc)
- Some experience working with procedural pipeline (Houdini) techniques a bonus
- Ability to rapidly prototype and ability to investigate other options and ideas
About the Company
Funcom ZPX is a full-range development studio situated in Lisbon, the sunny capital of Portugal, in an area with famous cafés and sights near the river. The Lisbon team consists of roughly 45 people from more than 10 nationalities.
This is what successful Funcom employees have in common:
- They identify with, and embrace, our company values
- They contribute to a positive multi-cultural work environment
- They have good written and oral communication skills in English
- They have a passion for games and your profession
- They are able to work independently and to be self-directing
Funcom ZPX offers challenging and interesting work, flexible schedules, relocation assistance, health insurance, meal allowance, gym discounts, social events and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family, with skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games.
Please apply in English. Remember to attach your resume and cover letter.