We have been around for 27 years. From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey and the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to brutal survival in Conan Exiles. We make games with an edge, and we have a great time doing it!
Now, Funcom is looking for an enthusiastic, talented, and versatile Technical Artist to join its development team in Oslo, Norway – currently working on pre-production of a new open-world multiplayer game using the DUNE IP from Legendary Entertainment.
This position requires leveraging multiple artistic, creative and technical solutions, to support game art pipelines and techniques used by the production teams based on your knowledge of the latest industry trends to elevate the quality of our latest development processes.
As a Technical Artist you will be working closely with the Technical Director and the Art Director, but also acting as a bridge between to develop solutions and tools between the technical and art teams. You will be heavily involved in developing the art pipeline as well as researching, documenting and implementing solutions to maintain performance and increase the efficiency of the project.
We are looking for someone that has:
- 2+ years working in a similar role, with at least one shipped title
- Ability to proactively troubleshoot problems and develop appropriate solutions
- Excellent knowledge of real time rendering techniques and PBR material workflows
- Expert knowledge of various industry standard DCC software packages, including 3Ds Max, Maya, Photoshop, Substance Suite etc
- Demonstrated experience identifying and driving performance goals and optimisations for open world development on consoles and PCs
- Strong communication skills and drive to deliver consistently on time, acting as a bridge and balancing the needs between Game Design, Art and Programming
- A drive for documenting various tools and workflows
- A portfolio that demonstrates the key areas listed above, with examples
In addition, the perfect candidate has:
- Working knowledge of 3d/vector math
- Extensive production experience with UE4 in a wide variety of areas
- High levels of aesthetic attention to detail
- Working knowledge of a scripting language a bonus (Python, C++, MAXScript, MEL etc)
- Some experience working with procedural pipeline (Houdini) techniques a bonus
- Ability to rapidly prototype and ability to investigate other options and ideas
About the Company:
The Funcom Oslo studio is a professional working environment with an international work culture, close to 100 people from over 25 different nationalities in one of the happiest countries in the world.
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values (check out our company values and history). For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio.
This is what successful Funcom employees have in common:
- They identify with, and embrace, our company values
- They have good written and oral communication skills in English
- They have a passion for games and your profession
- They are willing to relocate to Oslo
- They are able to work independently and to be self-directing
Working at Funcom Oslo offers a flexible 37.5h/week working schedule, relocation assistance, pension plan, healthcare package, social Fridays, free access to gym, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family of kind, skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games!
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible! Average response time is 1 week.