We have been around for 27 years. From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey and the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to brutal survival in Conan Exiles. We make games with an edge, and we have a great time doing it!
Now, Funcom is looking for an enthusiastic, talented, and versatile Procedural Technical Artist to join its development team in Oslo, Norway – currently working on pre-production of a new open-world multiplayer survival game using the DUNE IP from Legendary Entertainment.
This position requires a highly skilled specialist who knows how to create tools, assets and pipelines in Houdini that seamlessly integrate within Unreal Engine 4 for next-generation game platforms. This is an important position at the centre of our R+D efforts during the pre-production process, to design and build upon new processes that help reach our goals.
The Procedural Technical Artist will work closely with the Technical Director, Art Director and various other production artists to develop procedural world building tools that allow artists to quickly and effectively iterate on, translating into a stunning open world environment. Additional responsibilities may include helping to standardise workflows, pipelines and other tools artists use outside of the game engine, such as Substance, 3Ds Max etc.
We are looking for someone that has:
- 3+ years in a similar technical role, with at least one shipped title
- Thorough knowledge of Houdini asset and tool development for modern game engines
- Proven experience demonstrating systems to procedurally create and populate dynamic assets for landscapes and other world building / asset tools
- Understanding to work comfortably with VEX and Python
- Ability to proactively troubleshoot problems and develop appropriate solutions
- Demonstrated experience identifying and driving performance goals and optimisations for open world development on consoles and PCs
- Additional responsibilities may include helping to standardise workflows, pipelines and other tools artists use outside of the game engine, such as Substance, 3Ds Max etc
- Strong communication skills and drive to deliver consistently on time, acting as a bridge and balancing the needs between Game Design, Art and Programming
- A portfolio that demonstrates the key areas listed above, with samples or documentation using Houdini tools
In addition, the perfect candidate has:
- Preferably, production experience with Unreal Engine 4
- Experience using 3Ds Max, Maya and Substance suite
- Excellent knowledge of real-time rendering techniques and various PBR workflows
- Experience with any kind of graphics programming
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life-balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
The Funcom Oslo studio is a professional working environment with an international work culture, close to 100 people from over 25 different nationalities in one of the happiest countries in the world. Funcom is an international and varied environment in which people has one thing in common – their love for making and playing videogames.
Located in central downtown Oslo, the studio is situated in a modern office building surrounded by a cozy area with lots of sights, restaurants, and cafés.
Working at Funcom Oslo offers a flexible 37.5h/week working schedule, relocation assistance, pension plan, healthcare package, social Fridays, free access to gym, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family of kind, skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games!
We have a dynamic, inclusive, challenging and engaging work culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities. Come join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.