From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 30-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 400 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden and Romania. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Your Mission in Funcom
We are looking for students and non-students with a passion for games and programming who wish to apply the knowledge and skills acquired in an educational setting to real-world scenarios during a 3-month onsite internship.
Funcom offers hands-on experience in a professional and creative environment, allowing interns to learn how to navigate the workplace, collaborate with colleagues, and develop industry-specific skills.
Your job would be to use technical skills to translate the game design into well-optimized features for multiplayer and real-time rendering and enhance the overall player experience. No prior experience is required, but demonstrable skill is a must. You should provide a CV or portfolio showcasing your latest works and demonstrating a passion for growing and learning within the industry!
How you can have an impact in your position:
- Highly motivated to learn and eager to try new things
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent in computer science or equivalent experience
- Knowledge in C++
- Familiarity with Unreal Engine
- Familiarity with real-time multiplayer with a client <-> server setup
- Enjoys playing survival genre games
- Fluent in English
- A perfect candidate is already working on their own game as a hobby project, modding games, or in some other way shows they have a hunger for more.
What we offer:
- Interns can learn how to work closely with game designers, code directors, and other team members to implement multi-player game features in Unreal Engine in real-world scenarios, gaining a deeper understanding of their field of study.
- Gain practical experience through the opportunity to work closely with the game dev team in Dune: Awakening
- Guidance and mentorship from experienced game, engine and tools programmers
- Opportunities to connect and build relationships with professionals in the field
- Stipend to cover general expenses, including public transportation and meals.
- By completing an internship, individuals can bolster their resume and demonstrate commitment, initiative, and relevant experience in the field.
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
Please apply in English.
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure where you can thrive, be yourself, leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
Funcom Lisbon has a full-range development studio situated in Lisbon, the sunny capital of Portugal, in an area with famous cafés and sights near the river. The Lisbon team consists of roughly 80 people from more than 20 nationalities.
Funcom Lisbon offers challenging and interesting work, flexible schedules, relocation assistance, health insurance, meal allowance, gym discounts, social events, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family, with skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games.
We have a diverse, dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities, and we encourage candidates from all walks of life to apply. Join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.