From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 30-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 400 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden and Romania. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Your Mission in Funcom
Funcom is looking for a talented and experienced server/network programmer to work on and help shape the next iteration of our server technology. The team’s current primary focus is building the infrastructure for our next large-scale multiplayer survival game based on the Dune IP.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- Develop, debug or optimize engine-level systems in C++ in Unreal engine, including networking or world streaming.
- Follow best practices, development processes, and coding standards.
- Create and implement well-engineered, reliable, maintainable, and bug-free code.
- Collaborate with team members to develop various engine systems.
- You will be responsible for mentoring less experienced members of the team.
We are looking for you to have:
- 5 or more years of relevant professional experience
- Strong C++ skills, including experience working in multithreaded and memory-constrained environments
- Good understanding of the Unreal Engine network architecture, including the network driver
- Experience designing and developing server/client games or frameworks
- Experience optimizing server for large player counts, including load balancing
- Experience writing code for multiple platforms (Windows, Linux)
- Aptitude for breaking down complex problems into small/manageable tasks
- Strong communication skills (English is our working language)
- Experience working on one or more released titles
In addition, ideally, you might also have:
- Experience working with UE4/5
- Experience working with consoles
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
Please apply in English.
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure where you can thrive, be yourself, leave a mark in the studio, and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
Funcom Lisbon has a full-range development studio situated in Lisbon, the sunny capital of Portugal, in an area with famous cafés and sights near the river. The Lisbon team consists of roughly 80 people from more than 20 nationalities.
Funcom Lisbon offers challenging and interesting work, flexible schedules, relocation assistance, health insurance, meal allowance, gym discounts, social events, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family, with skilled and professional colleagues who share a passion for games.
We have a diverse, dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities, and we encourage candidates from all walks of life to apply. Join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.