From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 30-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 400 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden and Romania. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Your Mission in Funcom
As an Intermediate AI Game Designer, you will play a crucial role in creating and implementing AI systems and behaviors that enhance the player experience in Dune: Awakening. You will collaborate closely with the design and engineering teams to develop engaging and lifelike NPC behaviors and interactions within our games using the Unreal Engine.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- More than 3 years of commercial experience working as a game designer, preferably in survival games
- Previous experience designing and implementing AI systems for console or PC games (using Unreal Engine)
- Design, prototype, and implement AI systems and behaviors (combat and non-combat) for NPCs that enhance game immersion and create compelling gameplay experiences.
- Strong understanding and practical experience in AI scripting, including behavior trees, state machines, pathfinding, and decision-making algorithms.
- Collaborate with game designers and engineers to define AI requirements and integrate AI functionality into game environments using Unreal Engine.
In addition, ideally you might also have:
- C++ Code experience and/or familiarity would be a plus.
- An ability to understand and deconstruct high quality PvE experiences in open world games is a plus
- You enjoy playing survival genre games.
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure where you can thrive, be yourself, leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
Funcom NC studio is a professional working environment with an international work culture.
Funcom Inc offers:
- Substantial employee benefits package including premium-free Insurance package, 25 vacation days, 8 sick days, 10 paid holidays, etc.
- 401K w/match.
We have a diverse, dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities, and we encourage candidates from all walks of life to apply. Join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.
Funcom Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Funcom is looking for candidates who are authorized to work in the U.S.