From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 30-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 400 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden and Romania. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Your Mission in Funcom
As the Lead Technical Animator, you will play a crucial role in our game development process by bridging the gap between artistic vision and technical implementation.
You will collaborate closely with artists, animators, programmers, and designers to create and implement advanced character and creature animations. Your expertise in both animation principles and technical proficiency will be instrumental in elevating the visual and gameplay experience of our games
You will use your experience creating in-game animation systems and AAA animations to create an amazing 3rd person survival experience.
In this role, you fully understand the animation pipeline and can deliver and guide a team on the creation of new animation systems. You can step in to coach your team, find solutions to setbacks, and deliver feedback with confidence.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- Supervise and mentor a team of technical animators, providing guidance, feedback, and support to foster growth and maintain a prominent level of productivity and creativity.
- Collaborate closely with the project directors and ensure smooth coordination across departments.
- Responsible for leading, mentoring and developing the animation team to create high-quality, optimized visuals and deliver a successful project on time
- Develop and communicate the technical implementation and style for animations, ensuring consistency and alignment with the overall project objectives.
- Bringing your experience working with State Machines, Animation Blueprints, and overall game engine experience to our team.
- Having the ability to recognize when models or characters will not be able to animate based on our current system and work with art for a solution.
- Balance artistic aspects with technical constraints, maintaining quality and performance standards
- Carry out key department responsibilities that include hiring, training, appraising performance and resolving issues
- Stay up to date on best practices to keep up with the latest next-gen industry standards
We are looking for you to have:
- Minimum 5 years AAA animation experience on multiple shipped titles
- Demonstrated ability to lead and guide a team of technical animators.
- Knowledge of Unreal Engine Animation systems
- Proficiency with Maya, Motion Builder, and motion capture workflows.
- Excellent communication, organization, mentorship, time management and interpersonal skills
- Bachelor/Undergraduate degree or equivalent.
- A genuine passion for animation and a desire to push the boundaries.
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
Please apply in English.
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure where you can thrive, be yourself, leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
Funcom Lisbon has a full-range development studio situated in Lisbon, the sunny capital of Portugal, in an area with famous cafés and sights near the river. The Lisbon team consists of roughly 80 people from more than 20 nationalities.
Funcom Lisbon offers challenging and interesting work, flexible schedules, relocation assistance, health insurance, meal allowance, gym discounts, social events, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family, with skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games.
We have a diverse, dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities, and we encourage candidates from all walks of life to apply. Join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.