From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey, to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 29-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 350+ people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden, and Romania - plus an additional UI/UX hub in the UK.
As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
As a Technical Artist at Funcom NC, you will work closely with the Technical and Art Leads as a bridge to develop solutions and tools that assist both departments. You will be heavily involved in developing the art pipeline as well as researching, documenting, and implementing solutions to maintain performance and increase the efficiency of our Live Games including Conan Exiles.
- 2+ years working in a similar role, with at least one shipped title.
- Ability to proactively troubleshoot problems and develop appropriate solutions.
- Knowledge of real-time rendering techniques and PBR material workflows.
- Knowledge of various industry-standard DCC software packages, including 3Ds Max, Maya, Photoshop, Substance Suite, etc.
- Demonstrated experience identifying and driving performance goals and optimizations for open-world development on consoles and PCs.
- Experience with Technical Art in a pre-production environment.
- Strong communication skills and drive to deliver consistently on time, acting as a bridge and balancing the needs between Game Design, Art, and Programming.
- Ability to create and maintain detailed documentation for various tools and workflows.
- A portfolio that demonstrates the key areas listed above, with examples.
- Working knowledge of 3d/vector math.
- Production experience with UE4 in a wide variety of areas.
- Knowledge of Jira/Confluence.
- High levels of aesthetic attention to detail.
- Working knowledge of a scripting language (Python, C++, MaxScript, MEL, etc.).
- Experience working with procedural pipeline (Houdini) techniques.
- Ability to rapidly prototype and ability to investigate other options and ideas.
- Refine pipelines with tools and scripts to improve efficiency.
- Act as a liaison between the Art and Programming departments.
- Work closely with development/project teams to ensure efficient art pipelines and optimized games.
- Research and develop features and assist in evaluating the risk/reward of new features.
- Recommend and implement ways to improve visual quality.
- Additional duties include assisting with content creation for game development and assisting with quality control of all products.
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
Funcom NC studio is a professional working environment with the international work culture.
Funcom Inc offers:
- Substantial employee benefits package including premium-free Insurance package, 25 vacation days, 8 sick days, 10 paid holidays, etc.
- 401K w/match.
We have a diverse, dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities, and we encourage candidates from all walks of life to apply. Come join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.
Funcom Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
**Funcom is looking for candidates who are already authorized to work in the U.S. Funcom will not sponsor a visa for this role.**
COVID-19 Update: Funcom has transitioned to a work-from-home model and continues to interview/hire during this time. Initially, this role is expected to be a remote position, ultimately becoming an onsite position. We understand that every circumstance may be unique and Funcom will work with each candidate to identify options that work best for them and for Funcom.