From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 29-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 350 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden, a newly opened Romania studio - plus an additional UI/UX hub in the UK. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Now, our team in Lisbon, Portugal needs a Lead Animator to help lead our team of animators globally.
Your Mission in Funcom
As Lead Animator you will be working closely with the Animation Director to define the animated look and feel of Dune. You will use your experience creating in-game animation systems and AAA animations to create an amazing 3rd person survival experience. The Lead Animator will manage a team of animators across multiple Funcom studios and should wear many hats on an agile team.
In this role, you are a well-rounded team ambassador: a master communicator, collaboration facilitator, and above all, a skilled animator. You fully understand the animation pipeline and can deliver and guide a team on the creation of new animation systems. You are able to step in to coach your team, find solutions to setbacks, and deliver feedback with confidence.
How you can have an impact in your position
- Work closely with the project Animation Director to develop new animation systems and provide consistent quality while taking the systems across the finish line.
- Responsible for leading, mentoring and developing the animation team to create high-quality, optimized visuals and deliver a successful project on time
- Lead, mentor and motivate animators as they develop and polish their work throughout the animation pipeline
- Bringing your experience working with State Machines, Animation Blueprints and overall game engine experience to our team.
- Having the ability to recognize when models or characters will not be able to animate based on our current system and work with art for a solution.
- Balance artistic aspects with technical constraints, maintaining quality and performance standards
- Carry out key department responsibilities that include hiring, training, appraising performance and resolving issues
- Stay up to date on best practices to keep up with the latest next-gen industry standards
- Additional duties include assisting with content creation for game development and assisting with quality control of all products
We are looking for someone that has:
- Minimum 7 years AAA animation experience on multiple shipped titles
- Prior leadership experience
- Knowledge of Unreal Engine 4 and production management tools
- Experience working with outsourcing partners and freelancers across various locations
- Proficiency with MotionBuilder, Maya, and other 3D software packages
- Excellent communication, organization, mentorship, time management and interpersonal skills
- Bachelor/Undergraduate degree or equivalent
- Interest in playing games and game development beyond animation
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
Please apply in English.
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
Funcom Lisbon has a full-range development studio situated in Lisbon, the sunny capital of Portugal, in an area with famous cafés and sights near the river. The Lisbon team consists of roughly 45 people from more than 10 nationalities.
Funcom Lisbon offers challenging and interesting work, flexible schedules, relocation assistance, health insurance, meal allowance, gym discounts, social events, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family, with skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games.
We have a diverse, dynamic, inclusive, challenging and engaging culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities, and we encourage candidates from all walks of life to apply. Come join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.