From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 29-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 350 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden, a newly opened Romania studio - plus an additional UI/UX hub in the UK. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Your Mission in Funcom
This position requires leveraging multiple artistic, creative and technical solutions, to support game art pipelines and techniques used by the production teams based on your knowledge of the latest industry trends to elevate the quality of our latest development processes.
As a Senior Technical Artist you will be working closely with the Technical Director and the Art Director, but also acting as a bridge to develop solutions and tools between the technical and art teams. You will be heavily involved in developing the art pipeline as well as researching, documenting and implementing solutions to maintain performance and increase the efficiency of the project.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- 5+ years working in a similar role, with at least one shipped title
- Ability to proactively troubleshoot problems and develop appropriate solutions
- Excellent knowledge of real-time rendering techniques and PBR material workflows
- Expert knowledge of various industry-standard DCC software packages, including 3Ds Max, Maya, Photoshop, Substance Suite, etc
- Demonstrated experience identifying and driving performance goals and optimizations for open-world development on consoles and PCs
- Strong communication skills and drive to deliver consistently on time, acting as a bridge and balancing the needs between Game Design, Art, and Programming
- A drive for documenting various tools and workflows
- A portfolio that demonstrates the key areas listed above, with examples
We are looking for someone that has:
- Working knowledge of 3d/vector math
- Extensive production experience with UE4 in a wide variety of areas
- High levels of aesthetic attention to detail
- Working knowledge of a scripting language a bonus (Python, C++, MAXScript, MEL etc)
- Some experience working with procedural pipeline (Houdini) techniques a bonus
- Ability to rapidly prototype and ability to investigate other options and ideas
In addition, the perfect candidate has:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience working in survival games
- Enjoys playing survival genre games
- Familiarity with Dune and the Dune IP
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
Please apply in English.
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
Funcom Lisbon has a full-range development studio situated in Lisbon, the sunny capital of Portugal, in an area with famous cafés and sights near the river. The Lisbon team consists of roughly 45 people from more than 10 nationalities.
Funcom Lisbon offers challenging and interesting work, flexible schedules, relocation assistance, health insurance, meal allowance, gym discounts, social events, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family, with skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games.
We have a diverse, dynamic, inclusive, challenging and engaging culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities, and we encourage candidates from all walks of life to apply. Come join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.