From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 28-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 300 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden, a newly opened Romania studio - plus an additional UI/UX hub in the UK. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Now, our creative team needs a Lead Narrative Designer to work on our new open-world multiplayer survival game using the Dune IP from Legendary Entertainment!
Your Mission in Funcom
Reporting to the Creative Director, the Lead Narrative Designer is responsible for the implementation of the game story; his/her role is to enforce the notion that the most important story in any game is the story that the player can actually play and can determine the course of through low, mid, and high-level actions and choices.
The Lead Narrative Designer will be relied upon to collaborate with other designers to assist in design and implementation of game narrative systems to maximize player immersion within the game play experience. The core of this role is to champion story, craft compelling narrative elements, and design & define the systems through which they will be delivered to the player.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- Under supervision of the Creative Director, drive design and documentation of all interactive narrative systems to facilitate story and emotional delivery to the player
- Act as a champion of the narrative systems design & pillars across the game and game team
- Collaborate with other designers to execute on narrative goals within the design and implementation of game systems - this may include working in the game editor and script system
- Collaborate with the writers to create and maintain game dialogue documentation, world context & back story, NPC character information, and cinematic development plans
- Act as a central resource for all things narrative related
- Work with the writing team to ensure narrative synopses, treatments and script content and story blend seamlessly with design intentions
- Manage own schedule to accommodate the narrative deliverables of the project and propose solutions for dev conflicts that may arise
We are looking for someone that has:
- At least 5 years of previous experience as an Story Designer, Narrative Designer or other similarly tasked position in the game industry
- 2 years of leadership experience
- Ability to develop visual theory into production-ready concepts as well as written and physical specifications for game narrative implementation
- Understand techniques to elicit player emotion
- In-depth knowledge of industry trends in interactive storytelling with a deep interest in creatively advancing the story medium
- Experience with multiplayer games and multiplayer storytelling
- Excellent communication, collaboration, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Proven ability at successful multi-tasking under pressure
- Experience with game editors and scripting systems
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
Please apply in English.
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
Working at Funcom offers a flexible working schedule, relocation assistance, pension plan, healthcare package, social Fridays, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family of kind, skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games!
We have a diverse, dynamic, inclusive, challenging and engaging culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities, and we encourage candidates from all walks of life to apply. Come join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.