From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 29-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 300+ people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden, a newly opened Romania studio - plus an additional UI/UX hub in the UK. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Now, our Engineering department in North Carolina, USA needs a Gameplay Programmer to join the team coding within the Unreal 4 Engine for our Live Games including Conan Exiles.
Your Mission in Funcom
You will report to our Lead Programmer and will work directly with programming team tasked with implementing game features and systems within the Unreal game engine ultimately creating a compelling experience for our players.
Working in Funcom’s programming teams offers interesting challenges such as the opportunity to work with data-oriented programming (ECS) and shared simulation across multiple game servers.
As a part of the gameplay programming team, you will collaborate with designers, animators, UI/UX and artists in multidisciplinary strike teams working towards completing a set of features. You will be expected to solve challenges and contribute to delivering high-quality features within the established milestones.
We are looking for someone that has:
- 3+ years of professional experience as a game programmer
- Excellent C++ skills
- Experience working with Unreal Engine 4 and the Blueprint scripting language.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent in computer science or equivalent experience
- Experience working in PC and console games
- Preferably, experience with client-server gameplay logic
- Fluency in English
- Follow best practices, development processes, and coding standards.
- Create and implement well-engineered, reliable, maintainable, and bug-free code.
- Develop online gameplay features in C ++ in the Unreal Engine & Dreamworld.
- Develop and test code, fix bugs, and profile and optimize code.
- Collaborate with team members to develop various gameplay systems.
- Collaborate with animators and designers to implement game play features.
- Additional duties include assisting with content creation for game development and assisting with quality control of all products.
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
Funcom NC studio is a professional working environment with the international work culture.
Funcom Inc offers:
- Substantial employee benefits package including premium-free Insurance package, 25 vacation days, 8 sick days, 10 paid holidays, etc.
- 401K w/match.
We have a diverse, dynamic, inclusive, challenging and engaging culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities, and we encourage candidates from all walks of life to apply. Come join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.
Funcom Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Funcom is looking for candidates who are authorized to work in the U.S.
COVID-19 Update: Funcom has transitioned to a work-from-home model and continues to interview/hire during this time. Initially, this role is expected to be a remote position, ultimately becoming an onsite position. We understand that every circumstance may be unique and Funcom will work with each candidate to identify options that work best for them and for Funcom.