From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 28-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 250 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden, a newly opened Romania studio - plus an additional UI/UX hub in the UK. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Now, our Marketing department in Oslo, Norway needs a Communications Director who will be working strategically and tactically on all titles developed both internally and externally.
Your Mission in Funcom
The Funcom marketing department consists of three teams in addition to yours: Product Marketing, Sales & Distribution, and Creative Services. The Communications Director will lead a team of marketing and communication professionals and will report to the Chief Marketing Officer.
As Communications Director you will have two important mandates:
- Lead the team working on external communication towards press, influencers, gamers, and fans. This includes both corporate and product-focused communications.
- Drive our efforts in building communities for unreleased games, harnessing the power of social media and other communication platforms to build and engage an audience.
You will work closely with cross-functional marketing, sales, and creative teams to develop and execute communication and community-building strategies. Your team will not only be responsible for press and influencer relations, but will also drive the efforts in building a community for unreleased games across various channels such as Facebook, Twitter, Discord, TikTok, Snapchat, Instagram, and more. You will have a holistic view of the marketing of our games, working with Product Marketing to design the strategies and go-to-market tactics that will create excitement for our games and build a following.
You understand how to best communicate with and excite members of the press, but you are equally as invested in finding new and innovative ways to engage with gamers directly. You know how to harness the power of influencers and new social media platforms to get our message across. You will also work closely with senior management on corporate communication strategies and execution.
Games and gaming is part of your DNA and you have a genuine passion for what you do. Your enthusiasm for the industry and your trade will inspire your team to do their best work, and you will enjoy great freedom in coming up with new and innovative ways to market our products.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- Lead and inspire a team of professionals to do their best work
- Build, grow, and engage with Funcom’s audience across products
- Work together with your team and other teams to contribute to the overall marketing strategies go-to-market plans that combines marketing, PR, sales, community engagement, and creative
- Manage your team’s work to ensure deadlines are kept and that dependencies across teams and departments are honored
- Lead a team whose responsibilities it is to develop and maintain relationships with press and PR agencies as well as influencers and their agencies/managements
- Manage the communication towards different audiences including press, influencers, corporate stakeholders, the gaming audience, and our fans
- Design and execute strategies and go-to-market tactics aimed at building, growing, and engaging with Funcom and product-specific audiences
- Explore new and innovative ways for Funcom to gain visibility and build a following across newer communication channels such as Discord, TikTok, Snapchat, Instagram, and more
- Use press releases, blogs, social media, and other avenes to tell engaging stories about Funcom, our employees, our players, and our gamers
- Work with IP partners to capitalize on transmedia opportunities including TV, movies, music, board games, books, and more
- Support efforts at events and conferences
- Challenge upwards and challenge downwards, building convincing arguments rooted in both data and experience to push your team, the department, and the company forward
- Track and use KPIs to evaluate, improve, and steer your own work and that of your team
- Play an important part in continuing to build the department, hiring great people and developing the team
We are looking for someone that has:
- 10+ years experience in the gaming industry of which a minimum of five years have been spent in a similar high-level role
- Successfully shipped several AA and AAA titles across multiple platforms, both digital and retail. Experience with AAA games as a service on PC/console is a plus.
- A desire to work both strategically and tactically on growing and engaging with an audience
- The ability to lead and inspire a team, being both a leader and a manager
- A genuine interest in analyzing trends and using data to make informed decisions, but also wanting to innovate and create new paths to success
- The ability to plan and manage the work of others, but also work operationally
- Excellent communication skills, able to work with people from different professions across teams, to deliver on a unified vision
This position is ideally located at our studio in Oslo, Norway, but Stockholm, Sweden is also an option.
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
Please apply in English.
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
The Funcom Oslo studio is a professional working environment with international work culture, close to 100 people from over 25 different nationalities in one of the happiest countries in the world. Funcom is an international and varied environment in which people have one thing in common – their love for making and playing video games.
Located in central downtown Oslo, the studio is situated in a modern office building surrounded by a cozy area with lots of sights, restaurants, and cafés.
Working at Funcom Oslo offers a flexible 37.5h/week working schedule, relocation assistance, pension plan, healthcare package, social Fridays, free access to the gym, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family of kind, skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games!
We have a diverse, dynamic, inclusive, challenging and engaging culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities, and we encourage candidates from all walks of life to apply. Come join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.