From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 28-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 250 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden, a newly opened Romania studio - plus an additional UI/UX hub in the UK. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Now, our Art department in Raleigh, North Carolina needs a Lead 3D Artist to work primarily on Conan Exiles.
Your Mission in Funcom
As a Lead 3D Artist, you will work closely with the Art Director and Art Leads to build and maintain qualitative goals and artistic consistency for 3D art, setting high visual standards, and defining the project style and tone of Conan Exiles.
In this role, you are a well-rounded team ambassador: a master communicator, collaboration encourager, and skilled artist. You understand the next-gen 3D creation process along with its technical and artistic constraints. You are able to step in to coach your team, find solutions to setbacks, and deliver feedback with confidence. You will also manage external artist contractors & resources to ensure that production has all art assets necessary to reach milestones.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- Work closely with the project Art Director to develop a style and provide consistent quality across all 3D art
- Collaborate with other Art Leads and Producers to coordinate 3D Art resources, establishing schedules and priorities
- Lead, mentor and motivate 3D artists as they develop and polish their work throughout the 3D pipeline
- Review integrated work, ensuring its aligned with the artistic direction and can animate well
- Balance artistic aspects with technical constraints, maintaining quality and performance standards
- Build and maintain long term relationships with external art contractors/vendors and manage external artists by providing feedback & oversight
- Manage external art contractor schedules, deliverables, and day-to-day communication
- Track the status of art assets and provide supporting materials required for production
- Carry out key department responsibilities that include hiring, training, appraising performance and resolving issues
- Stay up to date on best practices to keep up with the latest next-gen industry standards
We are looking for someone that has:
- Minimum 5 year of experience in a 3D Art or Modeler role in the game industry
- Prior leadership experience
- Mastery of 3D art fundamentals of topology, materials, textures, proportion, and anatomy + animation and game limitations
- Expert-level proficiency with Z-Brush, Autodesk Maya, 3ds Max, Substance Suite and/or other 3D software packages
- Experience using Perforce or equivalent VCS
- Knowledge of Unreal Engine 4 and production management tools
- Bachelor/Undergraduate degree or equivalent
- Excellent English communication, organization, mentorship, time management and interpersonal skills
- Outstanding self-motivation and initiative
- A keen interest in playing games and game development beyond art
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
Funcom NC studio is a professional working environment with international work culture.
- Substantial employee benefits package including premium-free Insurance package, 25 vacation days, 8 sick days, 10 paid holidays, etc.
- 401K w/match.
- Dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging work environment.
- Continued training and career development opportunities.
- Continually evolving employee-based culture, including events, gatherings, contests, morale-based incentives, etc.
Funcom Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Funcom is looking for candidates who are authorized to work in the U.S.
COVID-19 Update: Funcom has transitioned to a work-from-home model and continues to interview/hire during this time. Initially, this role is expected to be a remote position, ultimately becoming an onsite position. We understand that every circumstance may be unique and Funcom will work with each candidate to identify options that work best for them and for Funcom.