From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 28-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 250 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden, a newly opened Romania studio - plus an additional UI/UX hub in the UK. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Now, our Art department in Raleigh, NC needs a Lead Artist.
Your Mission in Funcom
As Lead Artist you will be working closely with the Art Director and Creative Director to establish the vision and define the look and feel of Dune. You will also work closely with the team’s designers and artists to provide visual solutions to design challenges and create finished assets. The Lead Artist will manage a team of artists and should wear many hats on a small, agile team.
In this role, you are a well-rounded team ambassador: a master communicator, collaboration facilitator, and above all, a skilled artist. You fully understand the concept art creation process, along with style guides and creative briefs. You are able to step in to coach your team, find solutions to setbacks, and deliver feedback with confidence.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- Collaborate with Producers, Leads, and other managers to assemble a quality art team
- Responsible for leading, mentoring and developing the art team to create high-quality, optimised visuals and deliver a successful project on time
- Assist the Producer and the Leads in the creation and overall management of the art schedule and resource plans
- Help establish the visual identity for an unannounced project
- Work with the other Leads to balance artistic aspects with technical constraints, maintaining quality and performance standards
- Lead, mentor and motivate artists as they develop and polish their work throughout the Art production pipelines
- Work with external art contractors, maintaining day-to-day communication, deliverables and overall quality of work
- Track the status of art assets and provide supporting materials required for production
- Carry out key department responsibilities that include hiring, training, appraising performance and resolving issues
- Stay up to date on best practices to keep up with the latest next-gen industry standards
- Additional duties include assisting with content creation for game development and assisting with quality control of all products
We are looking for someone that has:
- Minimum 5 years commercial production gaming experience
- Prior leadership experience
- Knowledge of Unreal Engine 4 and production management tools
- Experience working with outsourcing partners and freelancers across different locations
- Expert-level proficiency with Photoshop, Z-Brush, Maya and/or other 2D & 3D software packages
- Excellent communication, organization, mentorship, time management and interpersonal skills
- Bachelor/Undergraduate degree or equivalent
- Keen interest in playing games and game development beyond art
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
Funcom NC studio is a professional working environment with the international work culture.
Funcom Inc offers:
- Substantial employee benefits package including premium-free Insurance package, 25 vacation days, 8 sick days, 10 paid holidays, etc.
- 401K w/match.
We have a diverse, dynamic, inclusive, challenging and engaging culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities, and we encourage candidates from all walks of life to apply. Come join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.
Funcom Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Funcom is looking for candidates who are authorized to work in the U.S.
COVID-19 Update: Funcom has transitioned to a work-from-home model and continues to interview/hire during this time. Initially, this role is expected to be a remote position, ultimately becoming an onsite position. We understand that every circumstance may be unique and Funcom will work with each candidate to identify options that work best for them and for Funcom.