From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 28-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 250 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden, a newly opened Romania studio - plus an additional UI/UX hub in the UK. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Now Funcom is looking for an experienced technical director to join our team working on an upcoming open work sandbox survival game set in the Dune universe.
Your Mission in Funcom
The Technical Director is responsible for the programming teams working on the project, working closely with the lead programmers as well as the producers, engineering director and CTO to ensure the quality and timeliness of the technical deliveries.
Using your extensive experience of working on large scale distributed productions and strong leadership skills, you will ensure that all engineering teams of the project are working in tandem, and identify and address bottlenecks and challenges they encounter throughout production. Alongside the technical leadership group on the project, you will leverage your excellent engineering skills to enable us to hit our ambitious technical targets for the title.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- Play a critical part in helping us reach the ambitious technical targets for the project
- Help build and own the technical roadmap for the project, using your extensive technical and leadership skills to ensure we deliver on the plan
- Work with the different engineering teams to identify and help address roadblocks of all kinds (technical, organizational, production related, etc.)
- Be responsible for the professional development of the programming leads on the project
- Represent the engineering teams and leads in the project directors group
We are looking for someone that has:
- 10+ years of game development experience, at least 5 of which in an engineering role, and 5 in a managerial role
- Extensive experience working on large scale productions distributed across several non co-located teams
- Strong leadership skills, ability to build buy in in a group of stakeholders, as well as mentor and develop experienced engineers
- Hands on experience with the development of gameplay systems, as well as a strong understanding of the all the major technical components of modern PC/Console game development
- A strong interest in data oriented programming approaches
- Solid C++ skills (while this is not a hands on programming position, the role does require expertise in the subject matter)
- Good communication and teamworking with game developers from all disciplines
- Excellent initiative, self-motivation, organizational and problem solving skills
- Experience working on multiplayer titles
- Proficiency with project management tools such as JIRA
- Ability to create a culture of quality and personal accountability throughout the development pipeline
In addition, the perfect candidate has:
- Experience working on open-world titles
- Experience working on multiplatform/console titles
- Experience working with Unreal Engine
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
Please apply in English.
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
The Funcom Oslo studio is a professional working environment with international work culture, close to 100 people from over 25 different nationalities in one of the happiest countries in the world. Funcom is an international and varied environment in which people have one thing in common – their love for making and playing video games.
Located in central downtown Oslo, the studio is situated in a modern office building surrounded by a cozy area with lots of sights, restaurants, and cafés.
Working at Funcom Oslo offers a flexible 37.5h/week working schedule, relocation assistance, pension plan, healthcare package, social Fridays, free access to the gym, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family of kind, skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games!
We have a diverse, dynamic, inclusive, challenging and engaging culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities, and we encourage candidates from all walks of life to apply. Come join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.