From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 28-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 250 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden, a newly opened Romania studio - plus an additional UI/UX hub in the UK. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Now, we are looking for a Head of Studio in Oslo, Norway to maintain a healthy, high-functioning studio and its culture and strategic direction.
Your Mission in Funcom
The Head of Studio is experienced with building and leading teams, and with being the go-to person and the main point of contact for a large group of people. This role will be responsible for overseeing the studio operations and production while working together with the Group CEO and leadership team to establish a studio strategy, align on the roadmap, and work together with the local HR & Operations team on maintaining high motivation and productivity for all employees in the Studio.
This role requires highly developed relationship-building skills, the ability to build credibility and influence within and outside the Studio, and the ability to represent and lobby the Studio within Norway. We are looking for a proactive person with a flexible and agile approach to challenges, who can adapt quickly and be effective.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- Work on setting and implementing short-term and long-term studio strategies
- Partner and review with Senior Producers, Project Directors, and Executive Producers on project planning and execution
- Define and manage the Studio budget and costs
- Develop and maintain strategies that track local team’s quality, delivery, and risks
- Manage the Studio staffing plans
- Facilitate plans/approaches to maintain team morale, sentiment, and engagement
- Work to ensure high employee retention in collaboration with HR
- Have an active role in all HR processes from recruiting new employees, onboarding, performance management, and motivation
- Work with other Head of Studios to align processes and communication
- Act as an ambassador for Funcom´s Nordic culture and towards Norwegian government bodies, trade organizations, universities, and game development groups
We are looking for someone that has:
- 5+ years of experience in game development
- 5+ years of building and leading game development related teams
- Significant project and risk management experience
- BA/BS degree in a related field or equivalent experience
- Extensive knowledge of the game development and its global landscape
- Great people skills and the ability to drive and motivate teams
- Experience running a studio of any size is a big plus
- Fluency in Norwegian
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
Please apply in English.
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
The Funcom Oslo studio is a professional working environment with international work culture, close to 100 people from over 25 different nationalities in one of the happiest countries in the world. Funcom is an international and varied environment in which people have one thing in common – their love for making and playing video games.
Located in central downtown Oslo, the studio is situated in a modern office building surrounded by a cozy area with lots of sights, restaurants, and cafés.
Working at Funcom Oslo offers a flexible 37.5h/week working schedule, relocation assistance, pension plan, healthcare package, social Fridays, free access to the gym, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family of kind, skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games!
We have a diverse, dynamic, inclusive, challenging and engaging culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities, and we encourage candidates from all walks of life to apply. Come join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.