Engineering – Funcom (Oslo, Norway)
Funcom is looking for an experienced, talented and versatile lead programmer to join its development team in Oslo, Norway.
In this position you will advice the Producer and other leads on feature planning and oversee the implemention of major game features, working in close collaboration with the other leads. You will be responsible for defining performance targets across multiple platforms and ensure these targets are met before release. You will also manage a team of programmers, ensure coding standards and code review processes are followed as well as taking part in recruitment activities. You will be expected to mentor more junior members of the programming team, and ensure code reviews and technical discussions are carried out to make sure we find a great balance between high quality and timely delivery, and with every change to our code we strive to leave it in a better state than when we started. You will be able to touch a lot of different gameplay systems, and you will need to be flexible and eager to both learn and teach.
The first project for this position will be on a new open-world multiplayer game that is in early concepting stage, to enter pre-production in Q4 2018
- Collaborate with the design team and technical lead on game features and planning
- Manage a growing team of engineers, providing direction and mentorship, and ensuring the team produces reliable, maintainable and efficient code
- Develop and implement gameplay features and systems
- Facilitate communication between the game team, production teams and core technology team
- Additional duties include assisting with content creation for game development and assisting with quality control of all products.
- 6+ years of experience in programming/engineering development, including having worked on at least one title in a similar position of responsibility
- Ability to lead engineers, providing technical direction, as well as mentoring members of the team
- Aptitude for breaking down complex problems and high level product requirements into technical design and tasks
- Strong C++ skills, including experience working in multithreaded and memory constrained environments
- Strong communication skills
- Experience working with Unreal Engine.
- Experience working with current generation console platforms (Xbox One, PS4, Switch)
- Experience with Python
- To identify yourself with, and embrace, our company values
- To have good written and oral communication skills in English
- To have a passion for games and your profession
- To relocate to Oslo
- To be able to work independently and to be self-directing
- Strong company values
- Challenging and interesting work
- A position the right candidate can greatly influence
- Flexible working hours
- Company pension plan
- Offices located smack in the middle of Oslo
- A studio with employees from more than 20 countries
- Social events and gatherings
- Health initiatives such as free access to gym, massages during work hours etc.
- World class public healthcare
- Free public schools
- Modern infrastructure
- Excellent public transportation
- Fluent English speaking population
Please apply in English.
If you do not have extensive experience but still feel you would be a good match for us, please send us some samples demonstrating your ability.