Art – Funcom (Oslo, Norway)
Currently, Funcom has over 140 people from more than 20 different nationalities working and playing across our two studios in Oslo, Norway and Durham, NC, USA. Funcom is filled with creative and innovative people who have come together to leave a mark on the game development industry. We’ve made over 25 games, from Casper on the original PS to NBA Hang Time on the SNES to more recent titles such as The Longest Journey, Anarchy Online, Secret World Legends and Conan Exiles. Part of our core values include taking pride in our work, making what we play and playing what we make and striving for continuous improvement. We are also proud of our Nordic culture and heritage which includes a healthy work/life balance, some of the best benefits available and open communication with management. Isn’t it about time you joined the Nordic family at Funcom?
We are looking for an Art Director at Funcom who will be is responsible for inspiring, leading, and driving the artistic process, from conception to final product. The Art Director focuses on the visual development of the product, and works closely with the entire art team as well as Producer(s) and the Leads to ensure the quality and integrity of the product meets or exceeds product vision, and competes with industry standards in regards to visual quality.
The first project for this Art Director will be managing the art and the team for a new open-world multiplayer game that is in early concepting stage, to enter pre-production in 4Q18.
- Collaborate with Producers, Leads, and other managers to assemble a quality art team.
- Lead and motivate the art team to realize overall goals and deliver a successful project on time.
- Assist the Producer and the Leads in the creation and overall management of the art schedule and resource plans.
- Provide ongoing constructive feedback to Artists to improve quality and maintain style/visual pillars and “art bible”.
- Track and approve completed art assets.
- Develop and/or update the Art Bible, ensuring that the art team’s style remains consistent.
- Create the art production pipeline and enforcing the process throughout the project cycle.
- Participate in managing project-related conflicts and disputes, and counsel marginal performers.
- Assist with staff plans, staff assessments and performance review.
- Support Leads and Producer to keep studio executive staff and/or marketing staff up to speed on product status and vision through the preparation and presentation of appropriate project materials (e.g., milestone updates, demos, etc.).
- Participate in hiring efforts for new team members.
- Mentor and serve as a resource for the team.
- Additional duties include assisting with content creation for game development and assisting with quality control of all products.
- At least 7 years prior game industry experience.
- Worked on a minimum of 2 video games as a Lead/Art Director demonstrating a high visual bar for quality.
- B.A. degree or equivalent hands-on work experience.
- Understands game production design process and methodology.
- Demonstrates an understanding of storytelling, craftsmanship and continuity.
- Effective communication with peers, art staff and senior management.
- Ability to balance impacts of deadlines and resources with style and quality requirements of a title's art direction.
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems efficiently.
- Ability to maintain and hit deadlines in situations of intense schedules.
- Strong time management skills with a proven ability to focus on priorities juggle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work cooperatively collaborate with the Funcom team spanning artists, programmers and designers, and to achieve the best results.
- Ability to communicate effectively with executive level staff on a broad range of topics: technical, business, and creative.
- To be fluent in English.
- To relocate to Oslo, Norway.
- To be able to handle multiple tasks.
- To be able to work independently and to be self-directing.
- Authorization to work in Norway.
- Flexible and challenging work environment.
- A position the right candidate can greatly influence.
- Team oriented culture.
- Social events and gatherings.
Please apply in English.