Engineering – Funcom (Oslo, Norway)
Currently, Funcom has over 140 people from more than 20 different nationalities working and playing across our two studios in Oslo, Norway and Durham, NC, USA. Funcom is filled with creative and innovative people who have come together to leave a mark on the game development industry. We’ve made over 25 games, from Casper on the original PS to NBA Hang Time on the SNES to more recent titles such as The Longest Journey, Anarchy Online, Secret World Legends and Conan Exiles. Part of our core values include taking pride in our work, making what we play and playing what we make and striving for continuous improvement. We are also proud of our Nordic culture and heritage which includes a healthy work/life balance, some of the best benefits available and open communication with management. Isn’t it about time you joined the Nordic family at Funcom?
Funcom is looking for an experienced engine engineer with expertise in engine/network programmer to join its core technology team. In this position, you will be building and extending the high level server and multiplayer systems used across all of Funcom's titles. You will also be working on optimizing the low level network systems in the engine and our games to provide players with the best experience possible.
- Strong C++ skills, ideally including experience working in multithreaded and memory constrained environments.
- Solid understanding of scalable client/server architecture.
- Experience optimizing server for large player counts, including load balancing.
- Aptitude for breaking down complex problems into small/manageable tasks.
- Strong communication skills (English is our working language).
- Experience working on one or more released titles as server, network or live services engineer.
- Experience working with platform live services such as Steam, Xbox Live, PSN, etc.
- Experience working with cloud computing backends such as Azure or AWS
- Experience with databases such as SQLite or PostgreSQL
- Working knowledge of 3d Math/ trigonometry.
- Experience working with UE4
- Experience working on current generation console titles
Common for all positions, you need:
- To have good written and oral communication skills in English
- To have a passion for games
- To relocate to Oslo
- To be able to handle multiple tasks
- To be able to work independently and to be self-directing
If you do not have extensive experience but still feel you would be a good match for us, please send us some code samples demonstrating your ability.
Please apply in English.