From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 28-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 250 people located in 5 studios - Norway, USA, Portugal, Sweden, a newly opened Romania studio - plus an additional UI/UX hub in the UK. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth and successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
As part of Funcom’s ongoing expansion, the company is strengthening its in-house marketing department with several new positions, and we are looking for a Game Capture Artist
Your Mission in Funcom
Join the Creative Services team’s mission of delivering high quality visual content for our marketing. This role will report to the Senior Video Producer, as you will work closely with the Marketing Art Director and Creative Services team based in Oslo, Norway.
Our Game Capture Artist is responsible for technical and creative work in the preparation and recording of gameplay moments for our games. You will be wielding the camera on the virtual set of engaging and informative videos, screenshots, and show our games off to their full potential.
We are looking for someone who sees games as more than a pastime, and who values visual storytelling with strong aesthetic value. You will be the person who elevates and carries the visuals of the combined creative vision held by the Development and Marketing teams and work closely with our video producer and editors.
You will know Funcom titles intimately and capture the very essence of our games, their components and mechanics, in a way that excites our audience.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- Your work will be at the forefront of our visual marketing: from gameplay trailers to cinematic ads, behind-the-scenes featurettes, screenshots, press material and beyond
- Work closely with the developers to understand how to communicate our games, transferring the knowledge to our audience through visual storytelling
- Working with a variety of tools, debug features and game engines, you will identify the possibilities and limitations of our Marketing team’s video and screenshot ambitions
- Spearheading new, creative ideas which will impact how we present our games through visual marketing
- Working closely with cross-functional marketing teams, you will get to work on many aspects of bringing a game to market and informing our audience
- Contribute to consistency in our visual marketing and ensure high quality across platforms, channels and brands
- Improve and establish best practices for video and screenshot capture processes in Funcom’s video department, and continue to improve the quality of our visual marketing
- Collaborate with the rest of the Creative Services team on developing visual branding that supports the assets and the games’ tone of voice
We are looking for someone that has:
- Curiosity – a desire to learn as much as possible about our games, their mechanics and content
- An impeccable eye for aesthetics in photography and cinematography, with a personal desire to push past “good enough”
- An enthusiasm for “Machinima” and gameplay cinematics
- Strong storytelling and filmmaking capabilities
- The ability to plan, coordinate and capture both organic and directed in-game moments involving multiple players and events
- General knowledge of photographic lighting principles and techniques
- The ability to work independently as well as being a valued team player across several projects and departments
- The desire to ask questions, to research, and to proactively evolve their craft as a gameplay capture artist
- The ability to understand the nuances of a brand’s tone of voice, and to exhibit excellent taste across multiple genres and types of media
- A structured approach to file management and video production workflows
- Technical prowess with gameplay/screen/image capture softwares, codecs, file formats and video production workflows
- Passion for video games; you understand games, how they work, what excites people about them, and you are able to communicate that through both moving and still images
Desired, but not required, attributes:
- General knowledge of game development and tools used in production
- Experience with game engines (Unreal Engine, Unity, etc.)
- General knowledge of in-engine cinematic tools (Sequencer, Recorder, etc.)
- General knowledge of 2D and 3D animation
- Familiarity with graphics editors such as Adobe Photoshop
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
Please apply in English.
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
The Funcom Oslo studio is a professional working environment with international work culture, close to 100 people from over 25 different nationalities in one of the happiest countries in the world. Funcom is an international and varied environment in which people have one thing in common – their love for making and playing video games.
Located in central downtown Oslo, the studio is situated in a modern office building surrounded by a cozy area with lots of sights, restaurants, and cafés.
Working at Funcom Oslo offers a flexible 37.5h/week working schedule, relocation assistance, pension plan, healthcare package, social Fridays, free access to the gym, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family of kind, skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games!
We have a dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging work culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities. Come join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.