From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 28-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 250 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden, a newly opened Romania studio - plus an additional UI/UX hub in the UK. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Now, our development team in Stockholm, Sweden needs a Lead NPC Designer to shape the vision for the NPCs of the Dune universe.
Your Mission in Funcom
As a Lead NPC Designer, you will help shape the vision for the NPCs of the Dune universe. You will lead the effort to create the NPC content of the game and support various game aspects where NPCs are used. You will assist the design team in captivating players with memorable experiences through mentor-driven leadership. You will effectively liaise with the teams which depend on the NPC content your team delivers.
The Lead NPC Designer has experience planning and implementing NPC behaviors and AI archetypes, encounter compositions, NPC ecosystems, mission content, and more. You will work with content design teams to ensure that the NPCs of the world are true to the IP while delivering a satisfying game experience. You will be challenged to create content that supports the core fantasies of Dune and its inhabitants. Most importantly, the Lead NPC Designer will oversee the creation of the AI toolbox, as well as make sure NPC content designers use the AI toolbox optimally.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- Lead the NPC design team through direct mentorship
- Assist in the creation of the Content Bible for the game
- Expand the game world through the NPCs of Dune following the Creative Direction and Content Bible
- Create quality goals, workflows, and guides for all NPC relevant elements
- Collaborate and build relationships with designers, writers, and partners
- Plan and direct the creation of NPC content, including conception, presentation, iteration, and documentation (scenarios, missions, characters, etc.)
- Improve all mechanics where NPC content is involved, such as AI systems, encounter pacing, NPC archetypes and one-off NPCs, spawnpoint placement and patrols, etc.
We are looking for someone that has:
- A bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years of experience in the game industry working in a game or NPC design capacity
- 2+ years of experience leading/managing a team
- Shipped titles in a professional capacity
- Extensive understanding of design processes including NPC design, game design, level design, and content design
- Passion for leadership and mentoring
- Clear, effective communication skills across teams and cultures
- Motivation and drive to collaborate and advance positive change in a studio environment
- The ability to work diligently while thinking critically and resolving complex issues
In addition, the perfect candidate has:
- Experience working in survival games
- Enjoys playing survival genre games
- Familiarity with Dune and the Dune IP
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
Outsiders studio is a professional working environment with international work culture, and close to 30 people. Located in Södermalm, in the heart of the game dev scene in Stockholm surrounded by a cozy area with lots of sights, restaurants, and cafés.
Working at The Outsiders studio offers a flexible working schedule, pension plan, healthcare package, social Fridays, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family of kind, skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games!
We have a dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging work culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities. Come join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.