From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 28-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 250 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden, a newly opened Romania studio - plus an additional UI/UX hub in the UK. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Now, our UI/UX team needs a UI Artist in Newcastle, England.
Your Mission in Funcom
As a UI Artist, you will be involved with UI creations and systemization. You will need both an excellent eye for design as well as the technical understanding for implementation & discussions with code.
In this role, you are an adaptable UI Artist, always ready for a new challenge, and have a strong understanding of the latest UI/UX art production techniques.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- Produce high-quality UI art, concept wireframes, designing systems, creating icons and transitions within the engine
- Work closely with the project Art and UI/UX Directors to follow project style guides and briefs as well as an ability to understand and interpret game designs clearly
- Work with programmers to successfully execute user interface ideas from the concept to completion
- An observant and avid researcher of the source material, ensuring an understanding of the concepts & designs you create work in the world
- Stay up to date on best practices to keep up with the latest next-gen industry standards
We are looking for someone that has:
- Minimum 1 year commercial production experience in a UI Art role
- Good understanding of UI art fundamentals of wireframes, design, icons, animation and game limitations for both PC and console
- Good proficiency with Photoshop/Illustrator and other 2D software packages
- Great communication, organization and time management skills
- Bachelor/Undergraduate degree or equivalent and authorization to work in Europe
In addition, the perfect candidate has:
- Knowledge and experience of UX Design an advantage
- Familiarity with UE4
- Keen interest in playing games and game development beyond art
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
Funcom Newcastle UI/UX hub is a professional working environment with international work culture, including plans to expand and establish a co-working space later this year.
Working at Funcom Newcastle UI/UX hub offers a flexible working schedule and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family of kind, skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games!
We have a dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging work culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities. Come join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.