From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 28-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 250 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden, a newly opened Romania studio - plus an additional UI/UX hub in the UK. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Now, our UI/UX team needs a Senior UI Artist in Newcastle, England.
Your Mission in Funcom
As a Senior UI Artist, you will be heavily involved with the UI direction and systemization. You will need both an excellent eye for design as well as the technical understanding for implementation & discussions with code.
In this role you are a highly skilled and adaptable individual, able to work with multiple challenging requests, investigate solutions whilst also following up with implementation and mentoring of designed solutions.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- Produce high-quality UI art, concept wireframes, designing systems, creating icons and transitions within the engine
- Work closely with the project Art and UI/UX Directors to follow project style guides and briefs as well as an ability to understand and interpret game designs clearly
- Work with programmers to successfully execute user interface ideas from the concept to completion
- An observant and avid researcher of the source material, ensuring an understanding of the concepts & designs you create work in the world
- Assist with the mentorship of other team members within the team
- Stay up to date on best practices to keep up with the latest next-gen industry standards
We are looking for someone that has:
- Minimum 3 years commercial production experience in a UI Art role • Full development cycle on at least 1 shipped AAA title on console/PC
- Solid understanding of UI art fundamentals of wireframes, design, icons, animation and game limitations for both PC and console
- Strong proficiency with Photoshop/Illustrator and other 2D software packages
- Great communication, organization and time management skills with the ability to help mentor your colleagues
- Bachelor/Undergraduate degree or equivalent and authorization to work in Europe
In addition, the perfect candidate has:
- Knowledge and experience of UX Design
- Familiarity with UE4
- Experience with Marvelous Designer
- Keen interest in playing games and game development beyond art
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
Funcom Newcastle UI/UX hub is a professional working environment with international work culture, including plans to expand and establish a co-working space later this year.
Working at Funcom Newcastle UI/UX hub offers a flexible working schedule and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family of kind, skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games!
We have a dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging work culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities. Come join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.