From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 28-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 250 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden, a newly opened Romania studio - plus an additional UI/UX hub in the UK. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Now, as Funcom is working on an open-world multiplayer survival game set in the universe of Dune our Design team in Oslo needs a Lead Content Designer. As a part of this team, you will take part in bringing this amazing world to life, while pushing the boundaries of quality and gameplay in the survival genre.
Your Mission in Funcom
As a Lead Content Designer, you will help shape the vision for the content of the Dune universe. You will be responsible for the world-building content of the game and leading the effort to create new content and content-supporting features. You will assist the design team in captivating players with memorable experiences through mentor-driven leadership.
The Lead Content Designer will have experience with planning and implementing world design, game pacing, campaign, tutorial, scenarios, levels, quests, characters, items, and more. You will work with the design and narrative teams to ensure that the content of the world is true to the IP while delivering a satisfying game experience. You will be challenged to create content that supports the core fantasies of Dune while introducing new players to the mysteries of the universe.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- Lead the content design team through direct mentorship
- Assist in the creation of the Content Bible for the game
- Expand the game world following the Creative Direction and Content Bible
- Create quality goals, workflows, and guides for all game relevant content elements
- Collaborate and build relationships with designers, writers, and partners
- Plan and direct the creation of design content, including conception, presentation, iteration, and documentation (campaign, tutorial, scenarios, levels, quests, characters and items, etc.)
- Improve all mechanics used to create content, such as game pacing, difficulty curves, game flow, player progression, narrative aspects, etc.
We are looking for someone that has:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years of experience in the game industry working in a game or content design capacity
- 2+ years of experience leading/managing a team
- Professional history with shipped titles
- Extensive understanding of design processes including game design, level design, and content design
- Passion for leadership and mentoring
- Clear, effective communication across teams and cultures
- Self-motivated and self-driven to collaborate and drive change in a studio environment
- Ability to work with resolve while thinking critically and resolving complex issues
In addition, the perfect candidate has:
- Experience working in survival games
- Enjoys playing survival genre games
- Familiarity with Dune and the Dune IP
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
The Funcom Oslo studio is a professional working environment with international work culture, close to 100 people from over 25 different nationalities in one of the happiest countries in the world. Funcom is an international and varied environment in which people have one thing in common – their love for making and playing video games.
Located in central downtown Oslo, the studio is situated in a modern office building surrounded by a cozy area with lots of sights, restaurants, and cafés.
Working at Funcom Oslo offers a flexible 37.5h/week working schedule, relocation assistance, pension plan, healthcare package, social Fridays, free access to a gym, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family of kind, skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games!
We have a dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging work culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities. Come join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.