Funcom NC is looking for a Senior Technical Artist to work on our new open-world multiplayer survival game utilizing the Dune IP from Legendary Entertainment and to work with the Live Games team on games such as Conan Exiles, which are all built using the power of the Unreal 4 Engine. We offer you a job in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.
As a Senior Technical Artist at Funcom NC, you will work closely with the Technical and Art Leads as a bridge to develop solutions and tools that assist both departments. You will be heavily involved in developing the art pipeline as well as researching, documenting, and implementing solutions to maintain performance and increase the efficiency of the project.
At Funcom, we are a Scandinavian company at heart and follow Scandinavian work values (please check out our company values and history). For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
Funcom was founded in 1993 and during the past 28 years we've created everything from pixel platformers to massively multiplayer online games. Today, over 230 people from more than 25 different nationalities come together across our three studios in Norway, the US, and Portugal. We want Funcom to be a game developer where creative people can come together and leave a mark on the industry. From the critically acclaimed The Longest Journey, to the first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal survival in Conan Exiles, we make games with an edge, while truly immersing and enjoying the culture we create!
- Great employee benefits (premium-free medical/dental/vision Insurance package, 25 vacation days/8 sick days, 10 paid holidays, etc.)
- 401K w/match
- Possibility of advancement
- Dynamic and challenging work environment
- Training opportunities
- Team-oriented culture
- Social events and gatherings (currently virtual due to Covid-19)
- 5+ years working in a similar role, with at least one shipped title.
- Ability to proactively troubleshoot problems and develop appropriate solutions.
- Excellent knowledge of real-time rendering techniques and PBR material workflows.
- Expert knowledge of various industry-standard DCC software packages, including 3Ds Max, Maya, Photoshop, Substance Suite, etc.
- Demonstrated experience identifying and driving performance goals and optimizations for open-world development on consoles and PCs.
- Experience with Technical Art in a pre-production environment.
- Experience with Live Games & large art datasets.
- Strong communication skills and drive to deliver consistently on time, acting as a bridge and balancing the needs between Game Design, Art, and Programming.
- Ability to create and maintain detailed documentation for various tools and workflows.
- A portfolio that demonstrates the key areas listed above, with examples.
- Working knowledge of 3d/vector math.
- Production experience with UE4 in a wide variety of areas.
- Knowledge of Jira/Confluence.
- High levels of aesthetic attention to detail.
- Working knowledge of a scripting language (Python, C++, MaxScript, MEL, etc.).
- Experience working with procedural pipeline (Houdini) techniques.
- Ability to rapidly prototype and ability to investigate other options and ideas.
- Refine pipelines with tools and scripts to improve efficiency.
- Act as a liaison between the Art and Programming departments.
- Work closely with development/project teams to ensure efficient art pipelines and optimized games.
- Research and develop features and assist in evaluating the risk/reward of new features.
- Recommend and implement ways to improve visual quality.
- Additional duties include assisting with content creation for game development and assisting with quality control of all products.
Funcom Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Funcom is looking for candidates who are authorized to work in the U.S.
COVID-19 Update: Funcom has transitioned to a work-from-home model and continues to interview/hire during this time. Initially, this role is expected to be a remote position, ultimately becoming an onsite position. We understand that every circumstance may be unique and Funcom will work with each candidate to identify options that work best for them and for Funcom.