Funcom was founded in 1993 and during the past 28 years we've created everything from pixel platformers to massively multiplayer online games. Today, over 200+ people from more than 25 different nationalities come together across our three studios in Norway, the US, and Portugal. We want Funcom to be a game developer where creative people can come together and leave a mark on the industry. From the critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal survival in Conan Exiles, we make games with an edge, while truly immersing and enjoying the culture we create! For more insight into what makes Funcom the long-standing, passionate company we are, be sure to check our Life at Funcom and our History.
The Concept Artist at Funcom NC will be based in Raleigh, NC, and will work closely with the Art Director, Art Producer, and Lead Artist on the visual development of our exciting survival game, Conan Exiles. The Concept Artist will provide the team with creative illustrations as well as production artwork, which include; character designs, environment and object exploration, paint overs, storyboards, color and lighting compositions.
- Substantial employee benefits package including premium-free Insurance package, 25 vacation days, 8 sick days, 10 paid holidays, etc.
- 401K w/match.
- Dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging work environment.
- Continued training and career development opportunities.
- Team and Family-oriented culture.
- Continually evolving employee-based culture, including events, gatherings, contests, morale-based incentives, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in the game industry as a concept artist.
- Strong traditional art background, including color theory, composition, and lighting.
- Highly Skilled in Photoshop or Painter.
- Must have excellent 2D Art skills and traditional technical knowledge.
- Strong Online Portfolio.
- 4 or more years of professional concept production.
- Experience with 3D modeling software (Blender/ZBrush/3DSMax).
- Experience with game development working on high-quality titles with a realistic aesthetic.
- Video game concept and key art production knowledge.
- Work with the Art Director, Producer, and Lead Artist to develop concept artwork that defines the overall look and art style for the game.
- Assist with the creation of the style guide for the visual direction and language to be used throughout the project.
- Create concept designs and art direction materials for each project.
- Work within different stylistic boundaries set by the Producer and Lead Artist.
- Design a wide range of original concepts and subject matter, including; characters, vehicles, monsters, interior and exterior environments, weapons, objects.
- Create Lighting, composition and mood, color studies, as well as storyboards.
- Create promotional and marketing art.
- Collaborate with other team members in order to develop the visual direction for the game.
- Additional duties include assisting with content creation for game development and assisting with quality control of all products.
Funcom Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Funcom is looking for candidates who are authorized to work in the U.S.
COVID-19 Update: Funcom has transitioned to a work-from-home model and continues to interview/hire during this time. Initially, this role is expected to be a remote position, ultimately becoming an onsite position. We understand that every circumstance may be unique and Funcom will work with each candidate to identify options that work best for them and for Funcom.