From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey and the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to brutal survival in Conan Exiles, our 27-year history has set us uniquely up for a journey to the harsh planet of Dune.
The Funcom team consists of over 200 people located in 3 different studios in Europe and the US. With headquarters in Oslo, the team includes visionary programmers, artists, animators, community supporters, designers, and everyone in between, who all strive to deliver the very best.
Due to the growth of our QA teams, we are looking for a Lead QA Tester to manage QA across studios in our new open-world multiplayer game using the Dune IP from Legendary Entertainment!
Your Mission in Funcom
As Lead QA Tester, you will be responsible for leading the QA team with excellent cross-studio communication, growth-oriented leadership, and a strong grasp on best practices within a team. You will work alongside the QA team to evaluate and perform first pass QA testing on new features and content as well as provide early feedback to the development team, report issues/bugs, and work directly with the development team to bring each project to life. Additional duties include assisting with content creation for game development and quality control of all products, as well as mentor and serve as a resource for the team. You will be trusted to represent the QA team by gathering, analyzing, and communicating information that can help build strong cross-studio decisions. You will also be directly involved in the hiring of new members of your team, as well as onboarding, cross-studio communication, and leading and developing them as their personnel manager.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- Lead the QA team through direct mentorship while acting as a tactical driver of success, with the ability to directly contribute to team goals
- Lead the qualitative feedback process from a QA perspective, gathering feedback from the entire team and providing the dev team with applicable analysis of the results
- Support studio-wide playtest process, aligning aims and goals and ensuring capture of the feedback and bugs from all parties
- Represent QA within the development team; be visible, vocal, and integrated
- Participate in daily development stand-ups and share updates with the wider QA team
- Develop an intimate understanding of the systems and their associated requirements, maintaining them; share the details and updates with the wider QA team
- Perform design testing reviews, ensuring the design is captured and identifying bugs and usability concerns before they make it into the game
- Analyze and troubleshoot reported defects and internal issues
- Establish and execute team-level quality goals focused on risk management, quality checks, and established KPIs
We are looking for someone that has:
- 5+ years of experience in the game industry working in a QA or related role
- 2+ years of experience leading/managing a team
- Strong understanding of QA methodologies and tools, video game testing standards, and the video game development cycle
- Experience with automated testing
- Experience creating and maintaining test plans for various features and systems within the game
- Experience with open-world and multiplayer games on both PC and console
- Professional Experience with the test cycle of a commercial game project, through alpha, beta, launch, and maintenance
- Experience with test and issue management tools, Jira, and preferably Testrail
- Passion for leadership and mentoring
- Clear, effective communication across teams and cultures
- Strong analytical and problem-detection skills, with an ability to work with resolve
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible! Average response time is 1 week.
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life-balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
The Funcom Oslo studio is a professional working environment with an international work culture, close to 100 people from over 25 different nationalities in one of the happiest countries in the world. Funcom is an international and varied environment in which people has one thing in common – their love for making and playing videogames.
Located in central downtown Oslo, the studio is situated in a modern office building surrounded by a cozy area with lots of sights, restaurants, and cafés.
Working at Funcom Oslo offers a flexible 37.5h/week working schedule, relocation assistance, pension plan, healthcare package, social Fridays, free access to gym, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family of kind, skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games!
We have a dynamic, inclusive, challenging and engaging work culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities. Come join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.