From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey, to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 28-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 200 people located in 3 studios: Norway, US, and Portugal. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Now, our team in Lisbon needs a Senior Character Artist to work initially on Conan Exiles project and after on a new open-world multiplayer game using the Dune IP from Legendary Entertainment!
As a Senior Character Artist, you will work closely with the Art Director and Art Leads to build and maintain qualitative goals and artistic consistency for character art, setting high visual standards, and defining project style and tone.
We will expect you to:
- Work closely with the project Art Director to develop a style and provide consistent quality across all characters, creatures and related models
- Lead, mentor and motivate character artists as they develop and polish their work throughout the 3D pipeline
- Review integrated work, ensuring its aligned with the artistic direction and can animate well
- Balance artistic aspects with technical constraints, maintaining quality and performance standards
- Build and maintain partner and client relationships, trust and communication
- Stay up to date on best practices to keep up with the latest next-gen industry standards
We are looking for someone that has:
- Minimum 5 years commercial production experience in a Character Art role
- Knowledge of Unreal Engine 4 and production management tools
- Mastery of 3D art fundamentals of topology, materials, textures, proportion, and anatomy + animation and game limitations
- Expert-level proficiency with Z-Brush, Autodesk Maya, 3ds Max, Substance Suite and/or other 3D software packages
- Excellent communication, organization, mentorship, time management and interpersonal skills
- Bachelor/Undergraduate degree or equivalent
- A keen interest in playing games and game development beyond art
In this role you are a well-rounded team ambassador: a master communicator, collaboration facilitator and skilled artist. You understand the next-gen character creation process along with its technical and artistic constraints. You are able to step in to coach your team, find solutions to setbacks, and deliver feedback with confidence.
This position will require the successful candidate to relocate to Lisbon once covid-19 situation allows for it.
About the Company
Funcom ZPX is a full-range development studio situated in Lisbon, the sunny capital of Portugal, in an area with famous cafés and sights near the river. The Lisbon team consist of roughly 45 people from 10 countries. The team includes visionary programmers, artists, animators, community supporters, designers, and everyone in between, who all strive to deliver the very best.
This is what successful Funcom employees have in common:
- They identify with, and embrace, our company values
- They have good written and oral communication skills in English
- They have a passion for games and your profession
- They are able to work independently and to be self-directing
Funcom ZPX offers flexible schedules, relocation assistance, health insurance, meal allowance, social Fridays, gym discounts, and a long list of other benefits. At the office, there is a library with console games, board games, comics, and books for the employees to borrow. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family, with skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games.