From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey and the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to brutal survival in Conan Exiles, our 27-year history has set us uniquely up for a journey to the harsh planet of Dune.
Now, our team in the Nordic region needs a Lead Character Artist to work on a new open-world multiplayer game using the Dune IP from Legendary Entertainment!
As a Lead Character Artist, you will work closely with the Art Director and Art Leads to build and maintain qualitative goals and artistic consistency for character art, setting high visual standards, and defining project style and tone.
We will expect you to:
- Work closely with the project Art Director to develop a style and provide consistent quality across all characters, creatures and related models
- Collaborate with other Art Leads and Producers to coordinate Character Art resources, establishing schedules and priorities
- Lead, mentor and motivate character artists as they develop and polish their work throughout the 3D pipeline
- Review integrated work, ensuring its aligned with the artistic direction and can animate well
- Balance artistic aspects with technical constraints, maintaining quality and performance standards
- Carry out key department responsibilities that include hiring, training, appraising performance and resolving issues
- Build and maintain partner and client relationships, trust and communication
- Stay up to date on best practices to keep up with the latest next-gen industry standards
We are looking for someone that has:
- Minimum 5 years commercial production experience in a Character Art role
- Previous leadership experience
- Knowledge of Unreal Engine 4 and production management tools
- Mastery of 3D art fundamentals of topology, materials, textures, proportion, and anatomy + animation and game limitations
- Expert-level proficiency with Z-Brush, Autodesk Maya, 3ds Max, Substance Suite and/or other 3D software packages
- Excellent communication, organization, mentorship, time management and interpersonal skills
- Bachelor/Undergraduate degree or equivalent
- A keen interest in playing games and game development beyond art
In this role you are a well-rounded team ambassador: a master communicator, collaboration facilitator and skilled artist. You understand the next-gen character creation process along with its technical and artistic constraints. You are able to step in to coach your team, find solutions to setbacks, and deliver feedback with confidence.
This position will require the successful candidate to relocate to Oslo.
About the Company
The Funcom Oslo studio is a professional working environment with an international work culture, close to 100 people from close to 30 different nationalities in one of the happiest countries in the world.
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values (check out our company values and history). For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio.
This is what successful Funcom employees have in common:
- They identify with, and embrace, our company values
- They have good written and oral communication skills in English
- They have a passion for games and your profession
- They are able to work independently and to be self-directing
Working at Funcom Oslo offers a flexible 37.5h/week working schedule, relocation assistance, pension plan, healthcare package, social Fridays, free access to gym, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family of kind, skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games!