From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 28-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 250 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden, a newly opened Romania studio - plus an additional UI/UX hub in the UK. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Now, our team in the Nordic region needs a Senior Character Artist to work on a new open-world multiplayer survival game using the Dune IP from Legendary Entertainment!
Your Mission in Funcom
As a Senior Character Artist, you work in a team of character, environment, and concept artists to create the highest quality artwork and maintain artistic consistency for character art, whilst helping out with the mentorship of your colleagues.
Our ideal candidate is a highly skilled and adaptable Character Artist, always ready for a new challenge and that has a very strong understanding of the latest character art production techniques. Experience with Unreal Engine 4 and Marvelous Designer is a plus.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- Produce high-quality character art, integrate within the engine, and assist with various technical setups and R+D
- Collaborate with key team members in the creation of in-game characters and creatures, being able to own parts of the pipeline
- Assist with the mentorship of other team members within the team
- Balance artistic aspects with technical constraints, working closely with technical animators to ensure exceptional execution
- Fix bugs and optimize game assets for required performance and specifications
- Stay up to date on best practices to keep up with the latest next-gen industry standard
We are looking for someone that has:
- Minimum 3 years commercial production experience in a Character Art role
- Solid understanding of topology, materials, textures, proportion, and anatomy + animation and game limitations
- Strong proficiency with Z-Brush, Autodesk Maya, 3ds Max, Substance Suite and/or other 3D software packages
- Great communication, organization and time management skills with the ability to help mentor your colleagues
- Bachelor/Undergraduate degree or equivalent
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible! Please apply in English.
This position is located in Oslo, Norway, or Stockholm, Sweden.
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
Working at Funcom offers a flexible working schedule, relocation assistance, pension plan, healthcare package, social Fridays, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family of kind, skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games!
We have a dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging work culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities. Come join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.