From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey and the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to brutal survival in Conan Exiles, our 27-year history has set us uniquely up for a journey to the harsh planet of Dune.
Now, our team in the Nordic region needs a Senior Character Artist to work on a new open-world multiplayer survival game using the Dune IP from Legendary Entertainment!
As a Senior Character Artist, you work in a team of character, environment and concept artists to create the highest quality artwork and maintain artistic consistency for character art, whilst helping out with the mentorship of your colleagues.
A Senior Character Artist at Funcom is expected to:
- Produce high-quality character art, integrate within the engine, and assist with various technical setups and R+D
- Collaborate with key team members in the creation of in-game characters and creatures, being able to own parts of the pipeline
- Assist with mentorship of other team members within the team
- Balance artistic aspects with technical constraints, working closely with technical animators to ensure exceptional execution
- Fix bugs and optimize game assets for required performance and specifications
- Stay up to date on best practices to keep up with the latest next-gen industry standards
We are looking for someone that has:
- Minimum 5 years commercial production experience in a Character Art role
- Solid understanding of topology, materials, textures, proportion, and anatomy + animation and game limitations
- Strong proficiency with Z-Brush, Autodesk Maya, 3ds Max, Substance Suite and/or other 3D software packages
- Great communication, organization and time management skills with the ability to help mentor your colleagues
- Bachelor/Undergraduate degree or equivalent
- An interest in games and game development beyond art.
Our ideal candidate is a highly skilled and adaptable Character Artist, always ready for a new challenge and that has a very strong understanding of the latest character art production techniques. Experience with Unreal Engine 4 and Marvelous Designer is a plus.
This position will require the successful candidate to relocate to Oslo.
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life-balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
The Funcom Oslo studio is a professional working environment with an international work culture, close to 100 people from over 25 different nationalities in one of the happiest countries in the world. Funcom is an international and varied environment in which people has one thing in common – their love for making and playing videogames.
Located in central downtown Oslo, the studio is situated in a modern office building surrounded by a cozy area with lots of sights, restaurants, and cafés.
Working at Funcom Oslo offers a flexible 37.5h/week working schedule, relocation assistance, pension plan, healthcare package, social Fridays, free access to gym, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family of kind, skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games!
We have a dynamic, inclusive, challenging and engaging work culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities. Come join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.