From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey and the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to brutal survival in Conan Exiles, our 27-year history has set us uniquely up for a journey to the harsh planet of Dune.
Now, our team in the Nordic region needs a Senior Character Artist to work on a new open-world multiplayer game using the Dune IP from Legendary Entertainment!
As a Senior Character Artist, you work in a team of character, environment and concept artists to create the highest quality artwork and maintain artistic consistency for character art, whilst helping out with the mentorship of your colleagues.
A Senior Character Artist at Funcom is expected to:
- Produce high-quality character art, integrate within the engine, and assist with various technical setups and R+D
- Collaborate with key team members in the creation of in-game characters and creatures, being able to own parts of the pipeline
- Assist with mentorship of other team members within the team
- Balance artistic aspects with technical constraints, working closely with technical animators to ensure exceptional execution
- Fix bugs and optimize game assets for required performance and specifications
- Stay up to date on best practices to keep up with the latest next-gen industry standards
We are looking for someone that has:
- Minimum 5 years commercial production experience in a Character Art role
- Solid understanding of topology, materials, textures, proportion, and anatomy + animation and game limitations
- Strong proficiency with Z-Brush, Autodesk Maya, 3ds Max, Substance Suite and/or other 3D software packages
- Great communication, organization and time management skills with the ability to help mentor your colleagues
- Bachelor/Undergraduate degree or equivalent
- An interest in games and game development beyond art.
Our ideal candidate is a highly skilled and adaptable Character Artist, always ready for a new challenge and that has a very strong understanding of the latest character art production techniques. Experience with Unreal Engine 4 and Marvelous Designer is a plus.
This position will require the successful candidate to relocate to Oslo.
About the Company
The Funcom Oslo studio is a professional working environment with an international work culture, close to 100 people from close to 30 different nationalities in one of the happiest countries in the world.
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values (check out our company values and history). For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio.
This is what successful Funcom employees have in common:
- They identify with, and embrace, our company values
- They have good written and oral communication skills in English
- They have a passion for games and your profession
- They are able to work independently and to be self-directing
Working at Funcom Oslo offers a flexible 37.5h/week working schedule, relocation assistance, pension plan, healthcare package, social Fridays, free access to gym, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family of kind, skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games!