Founded in 1993, Funcom has been developing and publishing games for almost three decades. In recent years, the company has seen massive success with its best best-selling hit Conan Exiles. Now fully owned by Tencent, Funcom is expanding its team as it sets out on a journey of bringing several games based on popular Dune universe to gamers around the world.
As part of that expansion, Funcom is strengthening its in-house marketing department with several new positions. One key role is the Marketing Art Director who will be working strategically and tactically on all titles, developed both internally and externally. The Marketing Art Director will lead the Creative Services Team and will report to the Chief Marketing Officer.
As Marketing Art Director you will work closely with high-profile brands such as Conan the Barbarian and Dune. You will work together with the Marketing Director, Sales Director, and the Community Engagement Director and their teams in creating and executing go-to-market strategies to successfully promote, launch, and sell products across PC, Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo Switch. You will play a key role in building the visual identity for brands and products, achieving that by working closely with your team, the Marketing Director and their team, as well as the artists and Art Directors on the production teams. You must create marketing art direction that speaks to the target audience and also stands out in the marketplace, and you must be able to uphold that direction through visual brand guidelines and having a clear voice and vision when working across teams. Your team is made up of professionals working with video production, graphic design, and creative copywriting, and you must be hands on in guiding your team and improving their work as they produce a wide range of marketing assets including trailers, motion graphics, key art, box art, ad designs, screenshots, and more.
You must be able to work with diverse creative disciplines, understanding what makes a great trailer as well as what makes a great key art. Gaming is part of your DNA and your enthusiasm for the industry and trade will inspire your team to do their best work.
This position is ideally located at the Funcom Oslo studio in Norway, but for the right candidate other solutions can be considered including other Funcom studios and remote work.
We are looking for someone that has:
- 10+ years experience in a lead art role of which at least five years in the gaming industry
- Successfully shipped several AA and AAA titles across multiple platforms, both digital and retail
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- Excellent proficiency in a relevant creative field, preferably art and illustration, with a strong portfolio to show for
- The desire to lead and inspire a team, being both a leader and a manager
- A genuine interest in understanding and capitalizing on trends, but also wanting to innovate and create new paths to success
- The ability to plan and manage the work of others, but also work operationally
- An excellent eye and a strong tecnical proficiency
- A finger on the creative pulse of the industry, someone who understands visual trends
- Excellent communication skills, able to work with people from different professions across teams, to deliver on a unified vision
- Play a key role in developing the visual identity of brands and products, and establishing the marketing art direction that will inform the production of all marketing assets
- Be a gatekeeper for quality, ensuring your team consistently delivers on the highest level
- Produce and uphold visual brand guidelines, ensuring consistency in all marketing assets both within your own team and with external teams
- Guide creative professionals that work across diverse diciplines, giving input and improving the work of both video producers and graphic designers alike
- Give creative input on marketing assets produced internally and externally, illustrating that feedback using anything from pen and paper to software
- Work hands on creating marketing assets as needed
- Lead and inspire a team of professionals to do their best work
- Manage your team’s work to ensure deadlines are kept and that dependencies across teams and departments are honored
- Challenge upwards and challenge downwards, building convincing arguments rooted in both data and experience to push your team, the department, and the company forward
- Work in collaboration with other teams in the department as well as production teams, in particular Art Directors on the games
- Play an important part in continuing to build the marketing department, hiring great people
About the Company
The Funcom Oslo studio is a professional working environment with an international work culture, close to 100 people from close to 30 different nationalities in one of the happiest countries in the world.
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values (check out our company values and history). For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio.
This is what successful Funcom employees have in common:
- They identify with, and embrace, our company values
- They have good written and oral communication skills in English
- They have a passion for games and your profession
- They are able to work independently and to be self-directing
Working at Funcom Oslo offers a flexible 37.5h/week working schedule, relocation assistance, pension plan, healthcare package, social Fridays, free access to gym, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family of kind, skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games!